Ads

Monday, June 30, 2008

"My new album will be refreshingly different." Says Faakhir

Faakhir, popular for his soft melodious vocals, is aiming for a comeback into mainstream music this September, as he prepares to launch his next album. It's been three years since Mantra was declared hugely successful, but since then the artiste has restricted his appearances to concerts and tours outside of Pakistan. Instep Today caught up with him in Karachi, where he disclosed that the forth coming album would be "extremely diverse" and would perhaps help him break out of the mushy-love-song mold that he is popular for.

Instep Today: Your fans have been looking forward to your new album. When is it due to be released?

Faakhir: My upcoming album is in its creative process and its taking time because I'm not compromising on the quality of it. The beauty of music is to take time with it, it is an art. One should never work, keeping a 'goal' in mind. Goals never work out and I wanted to take time with this. But I can promise that the album will be in your hands by Eid.

Instep Today: Other pop bands – Strings, Roxen, Atif Aslam – are doing so well in Pakistan and India these days and the scene has changed in the past three years. Where do you think you stand today?

Faakhir: There is no doubt that these boys are good at what they do, but it shouldn't be forgotten that there is a demand for everything in the market. One has got to have a music market that offers all kinds of music genres.

Instep Today: What is your genre and how is it different from what other bands are creating?

Faakhir: My latest creation is easy going, smooth and swift. It's hard core entertainment; one can indulge himself in the album as it focuses on the experiences we all go through in life. There are no lectures involved, mind you, just pure entertainment.

Instep Today: How would you compare your new album with your previous work.

Faakhir: What I have produced is the exact opposite of what I have done in the past. It's as important to mix and master music as it is to build concepts. This time around my work will be an entity on its own. It will be refreshing and different.

Instep Today: How will it be different?

Faakhir: My new album focuses on intricate sensitive relationships and circumstances and situations attached to them. Anything and everything life has to offer is what this album is about, from love to forgiveness, accepting changes, moving on, romance and all the bitter sweet experiences we all go through.

Instep Today: The concept sounds a lot like what you have been doing. So how do you say this album is different?

Faakhir: This time around, I have experimented with new words and phrases which I thought I would never use! They might have sounded odd in the past, but I'm willing to bring it out in the open as they don't seem all that odd anymore!

Instep Today: Are you planning the videos for your album as well? Mahi Ve, was an award winning video; do you think the new ones will be anything like that?

Faakhir: I have a few ideas but haven't really thought over the videos all that much. Plus, video execution is not up my alley. It's all in the hands of the art and creative directors just as long as they suit the song. The visuals should be what the audio represents. I departed from the 'Mahi Ve' style ages ago and the new videos will certainly be created according to the songs.

Instep Today: Do you think your image needs a makeover as well, since everyone is so image conscious these days?

Faakhir: I laugh at those who say I need an image makeover. Let me make one thing very clear - I don't wear make-up or lipstick for that matter. The slightest bit of puff or powder makes me look overdone, can't help it, that's the way I look. I wear smart casuals and do not believe in running to a designer to make myself feel or look like a star. I think those who are too made up are idiots and no, my image needs no makeover whatsoever.

Instep Today: You have been involved with soundtracks as well. What is the next step here?

Faakhir: Soundtracks, for now, are in the last page of my book. Currently, the criterion is to focus on my new album.

Instep Today: Tell us about your recent tours.

Faakhir: I've had a number of concerts in the States, India and two in Dubai. To me, the audience is the same all around the globe. The Indian market is much more familiar to the Pakistani crowd, but overall, I could relate to all and sundry.

Source : http://thenews.jang.com.pk/instep_today.asp

No comments: